"For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations." Isaiah 61:11

Search for garden related articles right here:

Custom Search

Thursday, July 24, 2008

This week in my Indiana garden...

I was able to pick another pan full of green beans today. I'm thinking there will likely just be one more batch to pick from my bush variety green beans. However, I'm happy to see that my pole beans have now sprouted small beans... what perfect timing!

I have one zucchini growing in my container. I'm not too impressed so far. The plants look fine but that one zucchini is growing quite slowly. I'm not sure what to think. Last year (before squash bugs took over) once a zucchini started growing it grew quickly and others followed. I'm curious if my zucchini plant that I planted in the ground at a later date will grow better than the one in the container.

My Strawberry plants are giving me some larger strawberries now. They are an everbearing variety. The ones early in the summer were smaller than the ones it's bearing now.

My Lettuce continues to grow and looks beautiful. It tasted great too until we returned from vacation early July. In July it's taste went bitter. So, next year I will plan for my harvesting to all be done before early July. Thankfully we enjoyed lots of it in June and our guinea pigs appreciate the lettuce (bitterness and all) that is being harvested every couple days for them now!