"For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations." Isaiah 61:11

Search for garden related articles right here:

Custom Search

Thursday, June 19, 2008

You can have your rose and eat it too!


I love growing roses! I currently have 5 rose bushes. I love them for their beautiful form, their various colors, their long blooming time, and their delightful fragrance. However, now I have a new reason to love them... I can eat them too!


I was reading a fellow gardening blog and it mentioned roses being edible. I had never even thought of that possibility! I can't wait to pick some more spinach and lettuce in the next few days and sprinkle some fresh rose petals on top! How pretty would that be? I did taste some yesterday and today. I found what the following links say to be true - different colored roses do indeed taste different. So far my Jackson & Perkins Cinnamon Twist Roses have the best flavor! LOL
My young daughters were taken aback to see me eating a flower! However, my oldest daughter, who can be finicky, admitted they weren't too bad! So, if this is news to you, as it was to me, check out the following links. They give simple directions on preparing petals for eating, recipes for using petals and for using the rose hips. It turns out not only are roses beautiful they are healthy too!

http://www.springvalleyroses.com/inthegarden/roserecipes.html

http://www.asimplerway.com/archives/000206.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2297120_eat-rose-petals.html