"For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations." Isaiah 61:11

Search for garden related articles right here:

Custom Search

Thursday, September 11, 2008

This week in my Indiana garden . . .

Believe it or not I am still picking green beans! I've been surprised by the extended harvest I have had. They have been very productive!

This week I finally got to pick my first zucchini! For some reason the first zucchini to appear stopped growing when only a couple inches long and then would begin to rot! :( I am happy that they seem to happily growing now.

My oldest daughter loved having fried zucchini for the first time last year! Despite that I only had one zucchini this week I treated us to a little fried zucchini!! :) Even better than I rememebered!

Below are the directions I follow:

Wash and peel 2 small or 1 large (8 + inch) Squash.
Slice thin (if slices are thick it will be mushy).
Mix 1 C. Flour 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp pepper in a brown paper bag (or divide between 2 small paper bags)
Drop a couple slices at a time into flour mixture and shake to coat. Continue adding a couple at a time until all slices
Are in bag(s). Put the bag in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
Heat canola oil in large skillet. Place a few slices of coated squash in the skillet at a time (don’t overlap). When the bottom side of each slice is golden brown flip over & brown other side. Set slices onto paper towel lined plates. Allow extra oil to absorb. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
*Takes some time to fry but very good!