"For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations." Isaiah 61:11

Search for garden related articles right here:

Custom Search

Thursday, September 4, 2008

This week in my Indiana garden . . . a SNAKE!

This week in my garden after checking on my cantaloupe plant I turned around to walk towards my Okra and what was before me; a snake! Uhhgh! I was out of there so fast! I still haven't recovered. I do NOT like snakes one bit!! This was the first time I have ever encountered one in my garden and I can't say I'd ever even thought of the possibility before. Now I'm on the lookout everytime I enter!!

I'm not sure what I'm so afraid of. To my knowledge we don't have any poisonous snakes around here. It was either a Eastern Garter Snake or a Eastern Ribbon Snake, I believe. (info on these two snakes click here) It was about 2 1/2 feet long; not a tiny baby, mind you!

When I tried to contemplate my fear of these evil things I was reminded of the following passage: Genesis 3:14-15 "And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." KJV