"For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations." Isaiah 61:11

Search for garden related articles right here:

Custom Search

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Today in my Indiana garden...


Today I picked another large bowl of greenbeans! They have done wonderfully. As far as the pole beans there really isn't much of a trick to for me. I pretty much just make a teepee, so to speak, with 5 bamboo poles (one in the middle and 4 surrounding) and garden string. I just weave and tie the string through the bamboo poles various places making sure they are all secured together. Position it deep enough in the ground to make it good and sturdy and then you're ready to plant. I plant a couple seeds around each of the outer poles. Something I have learned is that although these poles can hold 6 or more plants worth of pole beans, it really does seem to be better to stick to around 4 plants (one to each pole). The poles where I've planted more it's hard to see and pick all the greenbeans due to the crowdedness of the plants. I've also found they tend to get chewed on more by pests due to there being so many places for bugs to hide out.