"For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations." Isaiah 61:11

Search for garden related articles right here:

Custom Search

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Today in my Indiana garden... harvesting Potatoes!



This year was my first attempt to grow potatoes! I've been so anxious to do a little digging and see if indeed I did have some potatoes growing, how they looked, and how big they were! I had read that when the plant begins to die off you can carefully dig for some potatoes. As you can see from the photo above, my plant has been dying off a bit for a couple weeks. Well, today I couldn't wait any longer and it turns out I didn't need to. The photo below shows the 7 potatoes I dug up. My girls and I were so excited. They actually look like potatoes too. :) There were a couple other tiny potatoes that I covered back up in hopes that they will continue to grow.
I will definitely be growing more potatoes next year! This was so simple. It always amazes me how God makes things grow! It's a wonder to me to plant one potato in the ground and then dig up 7 - 9 potatoes from it.



Digging up these potatoes made me also curious how my sweet potatoes were doing. I carefully dug in a small area of my sweet potato container and below you will see what I uncovered! Although this little guy obviously still had some growing to do, I am excited to see they are indeed growing and I'll give the rest of them some time. I just hope they have room to grow to a decent size in the container they are in (photo below also)!

Sweet potato Plant:


Interested in planting potatoes next year? The following video
by Patti Moreno might be helpful: