"For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations." Isaiah 61:11

Search for garden related articles right here:

Custom Search

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Growing Potatoes

My potato plant continues to grow very well. It is such a hearty, strong looking type of plant. I really know nothing of growing potatoes. I just read the following at:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08157/887403-34.stm
"When the foliage gets about 4 to 6 inches tall, it needs to be "hilled" with soil, or mulched up to about the bottom of the leaves. This keeps the potatoes from exposure to sunlight, which turns them green. Once the foliage dies, the potatoes can be harvested."

Apparently it's time to hill my potato plant as I know it is 4 - 6 inches tall! So, what exactly does "hilling" mean??
In researching that I came across a gardening help site (link follows) that gave good directions on how to hill your potato plant (can be found in the article under the section titled "planting in rows")

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/potato.html